HRSA Funding Available

On September 29, 2021, health care providers will be able to apply for $25.5 billion in relief funds, including $8.5 billion in American Rescue Plan (ARP) resources for providers who serve rural patients and $17 billion for Provider Relief Fund (PRF) Phase 4 for a broad range of providers who can document revenue loss and expenses associated with the pandemic.

Consistent with the requirements included in the December appropriations bill, PRF Phase 4 payments will be based on providers’ lost revenues and increased expenditures between July 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. Phase 4 will also include new elements specifically focused on equity, including reimbursing smaller providers for their lost revenues and COVID-19 expenses at a higher rate compared to larger providers, and bonus payments based on the amount of services providers furnish to Medicaid/CHIP and Medicare patient.

75% of the Phase 4 allocation will calculated based on revenue losses and COVID-related expenses.

25% of the Phase 4 allocation will be put towards bonus payments that are based on the amount and type of services provided to Medicaid, CHIP, and Medicare patients.

https://www.hrsa.gov/provider-relief/future-payments

Thanks for the heads up on this Paulie!
For the Phase 4 General Distribution, under “How will Payments Be Calculated,” does this mean we just have to show that revenue was lost from July 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 on a month to month basis, or will there be some (seemingly) arbitrary 9 month period of time this interval (7/1/20 to 3/31/21) is to be compared with that shows a decrease in revenue?

Yeah…it’s going to be interesting to see the formula. I’m hoping to have that info for our webinar next week and run through a an example, etc.

The latest. 2 webinars planned by HRSA

HRSA Provider Relief\ 360x111

NEW COVID-19 Provider Funding:

Prepare to Apply

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), has announced a new application cycle for $25.5 billion in COVID-19 provider funding. Applicants will be able to apply for both Provider Relief Fund (PRF) Phase 4 and American Rescue Plan (ARP) Rural payments during the application process. PRF Phase 4 is open to a broad range of providers with changes in operating revenues and expenses. ARP Rural is open to providers who serve rural patients covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

See a detailed list of eligible provider types here.

Get Ready to Apply!

The application will open on September 29, 2021 and close on October 26, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. ET . Providers who have previously created an account in the Provider Relief Fund Application and Attestation Portal and have not logged in for more than 90 days will need to first reset their password before starting a new application. In order to streamline the application process and minimize administrative burdens, providers will apply for both programs in a single application.

Technical Assistance Webinars – Register Today

HHS recently hosted a briefing session to provide information about these upcoming funding opportunities – view the video here. HRSA will also host webinar sessions featuring guidance on how to navigate the application portal. Register now using the links below.

What Is Considered Rural?

ARP Rural payments will be determined based on the location of the patients, not the provider . You do not need to verify whether your patients live in an area that meets the definition of rural. Simply select whether your organization (including any included subsidiaries) would like to be considered for ARP rural payments during the application process. HRSA will base payments on data already available to us on the amount and type of Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP services provided to rural patients. HRSA will use the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy definition of rural.

What Documentation Will I Need?

Supporting documentation and information needed to complete an application will include:

• Applicant Tax Identification Number (TIN) and TINs for any subsidiaries included in the application.
  • Internally-generated financial statements that substantiate operating revenues and expenses from patient care in 2019 Q1, Q3, and Q4; 2020 Q3 and Q4; and 2021 Q1.
  • Federal income tax return, audited financial statements, or internally-generated financial statements submitted in their entirety:

If the applicant for tax purposes is a… The applicant must provide…

Sole proprietor or disregarded entity owned by an individual IRS Form 1040 including Schedule C.
Trust or estate IRS Form 1041 including Schedule C.
Partnership IRS Form 1065.
C corporation IRS Form 1120.
S corporation IRS Form 1120-S.
Tax-exempt organization IRS Form 990.
Not required to file federal income taxes (e.g., government entities) Internally-generated financial statements (or management-prepared financial statements) and a statement explaining why the entity is not required to file a federal tax form.

You can also continue to check the PRF Future Payments webpage for more updates as the application period approaches.

Please share this message with other organizations or providers who might be interested in these programs. Thank you for all you are doing during this difficult time.

Real time technical assistance is available by calling the Provider Support Line at (866) 569-3522, for TTY dial 711. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. CT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you for all you are doing during this difficult time.

Provider Relief Bureau
Health Resources and Services Administration
United States Department of Health and Human Services

Will they be including incentive pay from insurance companies and/or COVID Relief fund money as well? Or is the consensus that they will only determine a loss based on Operating Income vs Operating Expenses? for those 3 Quarters relative.

As this question when you sign up for the webinar

Hard to know in advance. Best bet is to see what they ask for on Wednesday when we can load practice info, etc

1 Like

Interesting that United Health Group runs the site for HRSA

Morning,
Anyone else working on this today? I know I can wait until webinar tomorrow, but I have more availability today. Thoughts on how to start Phase 4 application - update TIN or add new TIN?

I am working on it today. I am reading all the Q & A on the site first. .
https://www.hrsa.gov/provider-relief/faq/general-distribution
Scroll down to Phase 4.

On another note I started panicking about the PRF reporting deadline tomorrow. I had to research all the way back to last June and July (which in 1 COVID year equals what feels like it 5 actual years) Our payment back then was Phase 2. This deadline tomorrow is for Phase 1 funds which in Pediatrics we did not get.

1 Like

What about funds received in Phase 3? When is that deadline? Thanks.

~WRD0000.jpg

image001.png

I think (but not certain) that Phase 3 is closed based on the following from the HRSA website:

Phase 3 Payments

HHS made $24.5 billion in new funding available from existing PRF funds for a Phase 3 General Distribution allocation. Providers previously eligible from earlier phases or who had already received Provider Relief Fund payments were invited to apply for additional payments that would take into account their financial losses and changes in operating expenses caused by the coronavirus, but the payments they had received earlier were deducted from any Phase 3 payment. Previously ineligible providers, such as those who began operations in the first quarter of 2020, were invited to apply, and an expanded group of behavioral health providers were eligible for relief payments.

Total Distribution Amount: $24.5 billion

Recipients: 97,433

There is a place to apply for Phase 3 Reconsideration- which may be an option if a practice did not apply for Phase 3 (but this is pure speculation on my part):

Reconsiderations
If you have general questions about the PRF, please contact the Provider Support Line at 866-569-3522.
HHS recognizes that providers may have questions regarding their Phase 3 payment determinations. HRSA is developing a structured process to review and reconsider applications and payment determinations. Any corrections to payment determinations are subject to the availability of funds.
If after reviewing the above methodology you believe your payment was calculated incorrectly, or if you would like to be notified when more information becomes available regarding the reconsiderations process, please contact PRFReconsiderations@hrsa.gov.

update: Once logged in there is a “submit new information” button that then prompts Update TIN. I submitted requested information and status is now “processing”

1 Like

See this thread for continuation of HRSA Phase 4 Info: