Staff Morale during this surge

We are looking for ideas to boost staff morale and retention help during this RSV surge. Our staff is tired, at times being treated incredibly poorly by parents (we have a strong patient/parent behavior policy) and not really seeing the rainbow at the end of this incredible increase in patients. We have provided meals, snacks, gratitude, and openly share the kind, encouraging comments from parents that come through in our surveys. We have a practice with loyal and compassionate staff and providers, but everyone has a limit! What ideas have you incorporated in your practices - especially right now? Thank you!

1 Like

We are in the same position. We gave out $200 Thanksgiving visa gift cards to all the staff to say thank you. We often buy coffee and lunch because we are fully booked by 9:30am and parents are upset daily with the lack appts and or wait times. I also raffle gift cards randomly and the staff loves it. Lastly, I will text the docs in the am at times and say only show gratitude towards the staff today because me they are burned out like you all are. On those days the docs will come in with an attitude of gratitude.

1 Like

Same here! Booked by 9am seeing over 250-300 patients a day between both offices. We just gave out grocery store gift cards for Thanksgiving, provide lunches, treats, and words of gratitude. Agree parents have been much more demanding and rude to our staff which is so hard when you are doing your best to help them. The 1 star reviews because they couldn’t get in for a last minute well care during a Flu and RSV surge are just too much. We have discharged more patients than ever from the practice because of intolerable parent behavior towards our staff. I do think the staff appreciate knowing we have their back.

1 Like

Same experiences here. Over booked and dealing with very demanding, inconsiderate patients/guardians. Thankfully, we have a group of employees(and managers) that love to organize fun activities. We held a spirit week in October. Last week, we had Friendsgiving (a charcuterie board competition). A secret Santa event is planned for December as well as participation in the local holiday parade. August/September we had an office wide Walking Competition (with daily prizes). We have another walking challenge planned for early next year, where we will compete against another local organization. All year long, we celebrate “First Fridays” where 1-2 employees or a department organized a themed lunch event on the first Friday of the month (Karaoke, Taco bar, Potato bar, Summer picnic, chili cookoff, etc.). We have a ‘shout-out’ board near the breakroom where everyone posts public notes of appreciation.