How to code 99214/99215 Telemedicine visits

This is my interview with Dr. Paul Firth who gave an overview on how to code properly. If you are doing 99214 work, you should code and get paid for it.

Check it out here:

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing this-it immediately helped us change our billing and give ourselves credit for the work we are doing!

2 Likes

My pleasure! Happy to hear it

1 Like

Thank you! I just shared this with our providers!

1 Like

Thank you for your help and caring approach
I have been trying to do this approach but my partners have resisted.NOT ANYMORE.
Joel Cheresnick

1 Like

So helpful! I shared with all of my docs today. Do you have a link for Dr. Firth’s book?

1 Like

Yes! At this time it is really critical that we set ourselves up to be paid appropriately for our work. Glad it was helpful.

1 Like

Great! He created an online course not a book, this is the link:
To invest in his coding course, go here:

http://medical-efficiency-systems.thinkific.com/courses/coding-growth-strategies-2019?ref=4640d0

He was kind enough to give a discount code for 25% off. Code is DRUNA.

1 Like

Druna thank you so much for sharing. It validated some of what I am already doing and encouraged me to code more for what I am doing both in the office and in virtual visits.

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for this. Can you comment on using time to support level of coding? Consultants have recommended this to us as well. Would love to know your thoughts!

You can use time but even if you don’t meet the time criteria (these visits are lasting much shorter for me than in office) you can still bill those codes. I guess the point is that 99214s are common and we should become good and billing them.

I don’t know how to make this it’s own question, other than to reply here. Does anyone already have a template of “guidelines” or rules for use of telemedicine to provide to patient/parent? I’m hoping to prophylax against any need to take corrective action. E.g., best to have good lighting in front of you, less light behind, please be in a relatively quiet room without distractions (tv, dogs, etc), please don’t eat your breakfast during our appointment (yes, my friend who is an elementary school music teacher had a parent feeding a child pancakes during class!), and so on… If not, I’ll make my own, and maybe figure out how to share it here.

Create a video, email it to your entire mailing list. Upload it to YouTube and save the link. Whenever your staff make an appointment, have them text the link to the patient/parent.

Rock star answer! (If only I didn’t hate the idea of being video-taped/recorded! lol)

Thanks for that.

1 Like

Super-shy introvert here, hated it too!
Hosting a webinar tomorrow - “How to produce videos that will put your business on the map”.

It is specifically designed for people like us who don’t get excited about doing videos :slight_smile:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUsfuGhqzwiHNQqDJnrTF55jLAYzqxMmp6e

3 Likes

O-M-G. You crack me up! Do you not sleep??

2 Likes

What about when the insurance company says they will not pay more than 99213 for telehealth visits? How can we bill more than 99214 when the work justifies it?

Druna is there a way to watch the video. I was not able to attend your “How to produce videos”.

2 Likes

Same here. I’d love to see it.

1 Like

Here you go https://bit.ly/3avCBi9

I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

1 Like