E&M Bell Curve

Can anyone direct me to a bell curve for pediatrics? All I can find is CMS.

Can anyone direct me to a bell curve for pediatrics? All I can find is CMS.

The CMS data is bogus, as you know, because it only covers pediatricians who take Medicare, which really means dialysis patients.

There are many ways to slice this number, but over the last 12 months the national averages have been:

99212 - 4.8%
99213 - 61.0%
99214 - 32.0%
99215 - 2.2%

Of course, that covers “COVID TIME” so if you want the Mar 19 → Mar 20 numbers, they are:

2.6/64.9/30.9/1.5

Not wildly different.

I wrote a piece about the changes in 2021, given the massive change to how they are determined. You can read it here:

1 Like

Wouldn’t a true bell curve with four em options have equal numbers of 213s and 214s?

Yes, and equal 99212s/99215s. But the reality is that few pediatricians code that way.

[quote=“Chip, post:2, topic:4568”]
The CMS data is bogus, as you know, because it only covers pediatricians who take Medicare, which really means dialysis patients.

There are many ways to slice this number, but over the last 12 months the national averages have been:

99212 - 4.8%
99213 - 61.0%
99214 - 32.0%
99215 - 2.2%

Of course, that covers “COVID TIME” so if you want the Mar 19 → Mar 20 numbers, they are:

2.6/64.9/30.9/1.5

Not wildly different.

I wrote a piece about the changes in 2021, given the massive change to how they are determined. You can read it here:
[/quote

1 Like

Thanks Chip. This is extremely helpful.
Carol

Hi Chip, really miss the webinars. It was my lifeline. I have fought my best t stay open, but feel depleted. Maybe I’m just tired. Trying to find motivation to stay in the fight. Please, consider starting them again, just to keep the momentum. TY!
Dr. Lebron, Baby Steps Pediatrics NJ

1 Like

I miss them too!

First…the webinars aren’t done. @Paulie and I will be back soon - probably April 21st. He and I would like to get on a regular cadence but we know if we do it too often, interest will fade. Still, thank you for even thinking about us.

Second, if it’s informative pediatric webinars you need, you can try this great E&M video @Jan and I did recently:

…where we talk about what we’ve seen and learned about the E&M changes so far this year (and I wrote a blog about it, too).

If that’s not enough, you can try anything here for free:

Yes, you probably have to sign up (which means give us your name) but we don’t bother anyone. There are some REALLY GOOD videos in here, though I’m biased.

Finally, and most importantly, I understand how you might be tired. It’s been an exhausting year for everyone. I know Paul and I already have good content for the next webinar, but perhaps we can bring someone in to talk about RECHARGING and some self-care. You need it, you’ve earned it. STAY MOTIVATED, we need you!

1 Like

I think we all feel the fatigue. I’m always available if anyone needs someone who understands what they are going through! :grinning: This forum has brought a lot of us closer together over the past year.

1 Like

Thank you for the other resources. And yes, great if you can bring someone to validate how we feel and how to get the mojo back. I have done that homework too, but somehow, if it comes from you and Paul, it sticks.
Dr. L