CARES Act for Pediatricians Q&A

do you have the link to the document? I seem to have missed it

Read this link carefully
https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/cares-act-provider-relief-fund/faqs/index.html. There are new updates all the time. Remember, HHS considers ALL patients to be Covid 19 patients.
This came out on June 19

The term “healthcare related expenses attributable to coronavirus” is a broad term that may cover a range of items and services purchased to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, including:

** supplies used to provide healthcare services for possible or actual COVID-19 patients;*
** equipment used to provide healthcare services for possible or actual COVID-19 patients;*
** workforce training;*
** developing and staffing emergency operation centers;*
** reporting COVID-19 test results to federal, state, or local governments;*
** building or constructing temporary structures to expand capacity for COVID-19 patient care or to provide healthcare services to non-COVID-19 patients in a separate area from where COVID-19 patients are being treated; and*
** acquiring additional resources, including facilities, equipment, supplies, healthcare practices, staffing, and technology to expand or preserve care delivery.*

Providers may have incurred eligible health care related expenses attributable to coronavirus prior to the date on which they received their payment. Providers can use their Provider Relief Fund payment for such expenses incurred on any date, so long as those expenses were attributable to coronavirus and were used to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus. HHS expects that it would be highly unusual for providers to have incurred eligible expenses prior to January 1, 2020.

The term “lost revenues that are attributable to coronavirus” means any revenue that you as a healthcare provider lost due to coronavirus. This may include revenue losses associated with fewer outpatient visits, canceled elective procedures or services, or increased uncompensated care. Providers can use Provider Relief Fund payments to cover any cost that the lost revenue otherwise would have covered, so long as that cost prevents, prepares for, or responds to coronavirus. Thus, these costs do not need to be specific to providing care for possible or actual coronavirus patients, but the lost revenue that the Provider Relief Fund payment covers must have been lost due to coronavirus. HHS encourages the use of funds to cover lost revenue so that providers can respond to the coronavirus public health emergency by maintaining healthcare delivery capacity, such as using Provider Relief Fund payments to cover:

** Employee or contractor payroll*
** Employee health insurance*
** Rent or mortgage payments*
** Equipment lease payments*
** Electronic health record licensing fees*

You may use any reasonable method of estimating the revenue during March and April 2020 compared to the same period had COVID-19 not appeared. For example, if you have a budget prepared without taking into account the impact of COVID-19, the estimated lost revenue could be the difference between your budgeted revenue and actual revenue. It would also be reasonable to compare the revenues to the same period last year.

All providers receiving Provider Relief Fund payments will be required to comply with the reporting requirements described in the Terms and Conditions and specified in future directions issued by the Secretary. HHS will provide guidance in the future about the type of documentation we expect recipients to submit. Additional guidance will be posted at https://www.hhs.gov/provider-relief/index.html.

https://forum.pediatricsupport.com/uploads/short-url/m3NkJEZhP2mliWmuo7Dyqp4fzx6.pdf

I know one group who just got the CARES ACT $ in the bank!! It was 2% of all revenue. Best part was they did not put a (-) sign on line 13 “Losses” and they were still funded!

Got our CARES ACT money today- on July 4th! The full 2 %. So did my husband at his practice- also deposited today. I wonder if that was deliberate- money from the HHS on the holiday to celebrate- hope the rest of you get yours soon. and to SKB- thank you so much for your help and guidance- despite putting my name instead of the practice name as the provider, it all worked out.

Got our HHS payment today. Than you SKB and all on the forum. Happy 4th.

We also got our 2% on July 4! This is in spite of no sign in front of Losses Item 13! The $ went to the regular EFT/ERA bank account which Optum had on file, and not the one which I had entered in my Cares Act Application. So, look at other accounts.

We also got our CARES money on 7/4, in the bank acct they had on file, not the one we had put on our application and also despite not putting a (-) in front of the losses!

Thanks to PMI for doing due diligence in making the instructions & application form for the CARES provider relief fund available to us all! Strong work!

Also for Field 10 Gross Revenue DO NOT annotate with commas! So, for example, if your revenue is 3,000,000 put in 3000000.

Just submitted our application and this was the only issue we had to resolve with the UHC help line personnel.

There is a statement that says (in Acceptance of Terms and Conditions) ‘The Recipient certifies that it provides or provided after January 31, 2020 diagnoses, testing, or care for individuals with possible or actual cases of COVID-19…’ My Pediatric practice specializes in ADHD, therefore I don’t do any testing nor diagnosis of COVID-19. If I am reading this correctly, this disqualifies me for the CARES Act for Pediatricians, correct?

No. You meet the third prong: you “care for individuals with possible or actual cases of COVID-19.”

From the HHS FAQ:

Unless the payment is associated with specific claims for reimbursement for COVID-19 testing or treatment provided on or after February 4, 2020 to uninsured patients, under the Terms and Conditions associated with payment, providers are eligible only if they provide or provided after January 31, 2020, diagnoses, testing or care for individuals with possible or actual cases of COVID-19. HHS broadly views every patient as a possible case of COVID-19.

Please apply for the grant if you qualify!

1 Like

For those who have received payments already, how much time passed from submission of application to receiving funds… asking because I received a confirmation on June 22 that my application as complete:

But, I cannot access the completed document and when I log into the dashboard, I am seeing an exclamation point and get started message instead of a check mark:

I understand that part is normal, but it worries me that I cannot access a completed document.

@SKB Do you think I need to start over with my application?

1 Like

We submitted our application on 6/16; we got paid on Monday, 7/6 (20 calendar days later.) Other folks have been saying they got paid >2 but <3 weeks after submission.

Like you, I can’t see my completed application on the dashboard either (a design defect). I also suspect that, like you, I also can’t click the “View Completed Application” button to view my completed application (I end up in a click loop.)

HOWEVER, --dun dun duhhhh–, I can go to www.docusign.com, log in to my account (the same email address I used as part of my Optum ID), and find it in my Completed tab:

Then if you click that, you get a Scary Message (purple arrow) that you weren’t authenticated, but if you click the Download link (green arrow), you can still download your completed application:

Yay Docusign! But the best way is to choose the opportunity to download and save a copy of what was submitted right at the time of submission!

2 Likes

@SKB to the rescue, once again! Thank you, I was in that endless click loop and getting quite worked up, as you can imagine. I had a brief scare once I was logged into Docusign when I tried to download the form as a consolidated PDF and the document was blank! When I downloaded both the document and certificate of completion, it was all there, phew.

The only other unnerving part is that Docusign shows two attempts to get back in and lists those attempts as the application waiting to be signed:

But I am going to assume that the completed form from 6/22 at 5:05 is sufficient.

Thank you again!!!

2 Likes

I tried to look and search for the answer, but couldn’t find the answer to the question… do we need to pay tax on the cares act $$? What if it is not all spent by end of FY?

Thank you
Melissa Schwartz, MD

Yes, it is taxable in the same way as almost all other forms of revenue (p. 48 of guidebook.)

The deadline to spend it is “when the COVID emergency is over,” not the end of the tax year. If you still have money remaining then, whenever that may be, you are expected to return it to HHS with no penalty.

Frankly, since most, if not all, of us have already lost >>2% of annual revenue, I don’t think having "leftover"money is going to be very likely.

I am filling out the CARES application. My office moved recently but my Group and Individual NPI #s are to old address. We are trying to fix this. Any suggestions-can I use my old address for NPI or can I use my current location? I don’t know if this will cause my application to get kicked back if I use my current one?

Can’t you log into NPPES and update your NPI addresses instantly?

https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/#/

thank you:)

Thank you for this amazing document!
I followed it, got all the paperwork, numbers and documents ready as you suggested and submitted everything this morning.
Thank you! Thank you!
Bonnie