Put your H/R questions here!

This is not quite correct. You can still pay them Expanded Sick Leave pay, although it’s not a reimbursable expense under the PPP. (Instead, you will be reimbursed for your ESLP through a payroll tax credit.)

Since you now have 24 weeks to spend your PPP money after loan origination (rather than 8 weeks), and you now only have to spend 60% of it on payroll costs (previously it was 75%), it seems like you could just go one 2-week payroll period further in terms of spending down your PPP principal (since EPSL is a maximum of 10 days/80 hours anyway.)

What penalty are you afraid of?

We have an employee who went to Florida (we are in Texas) to attended her grandma’s funeral who died of COVID. Grandpa is also in hospital for COVID, now tested negative. If I quarantine the employee for a week, do I pay her sick leave or just take it off her vacation or keep it unpaid? I told her after 3 days I’ll test her for COVID with a PCR. If negative she can come to work. I paid one employee 10 days as she was positive for COVID.
I am trying to make a policy that no vacation, unless emergency, till COVID emergency is over. If they travel, they have to quarantine for 7-14 days, unpaid. Can I do that? My assumption is that they will travel to a hot spot. My concern is that if they know they get paid, they will take advantage of this and keep getting paid “vacation”

This would offer some relief at no cost to the practice:

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave

I have a provider who was out Covid+. It appears the provider could be considered exempt from the FFCRA paid leave, based on the definition, but Q56 concludes encouraging us to consider payment under this model. (up to the limit) Thoughts?

Chip,
I would love to understand if I can legally require staff members to work from home if we are requiring them to quarantine due to an exposure. These staff members have not tested positive but we have decided that all staff with potential exposure are to quarantine for 14 days. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Rafael

Based on the new guidelines for Tennessee, we are considered essential workers. As essential workers that are exposed, no symptoms, no positive test, we allow them to continue to work. They observe stricter guidelines by wearing an N95 mask all the time, not eating in breakroom, staying clear of everyone as much as possible while self-monitoring for any symptoms of COVID.

Libby Robbins

image002.jpg

Thanks Libby I appreciate your feedback. We are taking a more conservative stance. In NC, we could certainly have them work if we wanted too, but we are trying to keep them out of the office. We can manage without them in the office, but we wouldn’t mind the help with scheduling, confirmation calls, etc . . . just don’t know if I can require them too