Real Time Scribe Survey

Let’s try this again!

@abaumel asked me to construct a poll for people on the forum about the use of scribes and the impact on COVID. What’s cool is that we can see all the responses in real-time! We won’t be able to analyze them deeply (like we might with a proper survey), but it should provide some insight. Let’s see how this works.

Do you use a scribe in your office?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

What is the background of the scribes in your office?

• MAs
  • RNs
  • LPNs
  • Premed Students
  • Virtual Service (Domestic)
  • Virtual Service (Overseas)
  • Other

0 voters

If you used scribes before the pandemic, how was their employment affected?

• Furloughed
  • Laid Off
  • Continued Fully
  • Continued Partially

0 voters

If you use scribes, do they join you on your telemedicine visits?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Finally, if you do NOT use a scribe, has the pandemic changed interest in doing so?

• Yes, I have added or will add a scribe ASAP.
  • Yes, I would like to add a scribe but haven’t started the process.
  • No, I’m still not interested or am unable to.

0 voters

1 Like

We had begun implementing use of scribes in our office at the beginning of 2020- we had never thought we could afford the use of scribes in primary care until I attended a presentation at athena’s annual conference last fall in Austin. The implementation was going really well, and we were just preparing to start “Scribe Academy” in our office when COVID arrived. It is hard to say when we will bring this back, but it was pretty exciting.

We currently have 2 offices. One uses scribes and one does not. It really depends on how much time and effort one wants to put into training a scribe. If that is the case it is very helpful once trained. It does not work if a provider goes home and changes everything the scribe did to the chart note (not cost effective). So training is very important. We also tend to share scribes if able between provider days off.

1 Like

There apparently is a remote scribe system called Robin, currently available for orthopedists and urologists.
Once the device is activated, all that is said in the exam room is transcribed via AI and then proofread by someone afterward to check for errors. Turnaround usually one day.
A urologist I know speaks very highly of it and says it’s quite affordable.
Maybe in the future it will be available to primary care docs.

1 Like