At the webinar last week, we discussed the many questions our audience has about the many challenges and obstacles to executing a full “vaccine clinic” in the face of the incoming delivery of COVID vaccines for 5-11yo. It’s my belief that pediatricians ought to be very territorial about who immunizes the kids in their practices.
We gathered a list of questions from the webinar (and elsewhere) and I said I’d post them here as a starting point for our discussions! My goal is to gather enough Questions and Answers that I can put together a quick extra webinar with Paulie.
So, have questions about giving COVID vaccines? Have experience doing it? Add to the thread!
Comments from the webinar:
- More info on how to make covid vaccination clinic work
- Do folks plan to give the vaccine at well visits? We discussed it today and the trouble is that it will be difficult to schedule the follow up.
- We plan to do at Well visits AND weekend drive throughs- the follow ups might need to be the drive through, as there is a window for the interval
- We are ready to go! Will give at any visit we are able and have planned drive thru clinics ready to schedule on Saturdays too.
- With how busy we are, we don’t feel like we have the manpower to run a covid vaccine clinic! Ideas needed…
- Our office liability wouldn’t cover a shot clinic in parking lot. What type of policy have offices gotten to do this and thru what agencies?
- For 12 and up we give shots during the well check and have 2nd shots usually on Fridays
- Do we have to physically monitor the kids after the covid vaccine for 15 min or can they be nearby in the lobby or the parking lot?
- We are in new Yorick city so can’t do drive through clinics. Would love to hear what other city practices are doing…
- We are short staffed on MAs right now and nurses and worried how we will manage the vaccine with our current staff shortages.
- If giving vaccines at well visits how are practices handling storage and timing of usage of the opened multi dose vial.
- Look at Hotel conference rooms as an inside option
- My staff and office are already stretched thin. In order to do a COVID-19 clinic we need to do after hours. Our building won’t be able to accommodate a clinic after hours. So, this means asking staff to work overtime. I have heard that practices are either losing money, or not making money on these visits. How can we afford to pay staff.
- Would love to see a covid vaccine special. And yes, the logistics wisdom of accommodating the wait time in our parking lot or nearby on the street during a big clinic would be awesome. Being able to stay onsite where all of our resources are is our goal.
- how do we keep our small, overworked staff willing and happy to work extra to give Covid vaccines
- You can also contact the local chamber of commerce and they will rent a room inexpensively.