COVID office testing

Anyone looking into the BioFire CLIA waived combo Flu /COVID Resp panel test?

Can only run 1 per hour but could help decide to keep kids out of the ED.

Anyone have experience with this one?

Yes we were told the same exact thing.

We used BIOFIRE EZ about three years (we were the first in Houston) ago and I returned it within our 6 month trial period. The reimbursement was in the dollar 300 - 400 range for those who paid. I concluded that soon insurances will start denying it and patients could not afford to pay the deductibles. My gut was right. Insurances now only allow hospitals and ERs to bill for it. Some just do not cover it. I got the machine for free. Now they want dollar 64,000, no contract. It simply did not/ does not make any business sense. I have friends who have the CLIA moderate BIOFIRE and the business argument for it even worse. The have to run 30 controls (about $ 3500 down the drain) before even one test can be billed!!! Plus about $4500 for annual maintenance contract. It make great business sense for hospitals and free standing ERs to do it, not clinics.

The posts provide an abundance of practice information! The $ outlays for in office rapid COVID 19 are cost prohibitive at this time for our 2 provider rural practice. We have stocked up on rapid flu a/b and strep tests as their shelf live carries into 2021/22 if not used. Decided to stay the course with send out COVID testing. If this is suspected (or worried about) weā€™ll swab both nostrils with 2 swabs (thank goodness they are small) simultaneously, using one for the rapid flu A/B and the second for send out COVID 19 (billing CPT 99000 for the latter procedure to the insurance company). The staff only uses 1 set of PPE during the procurement process. Thanks for all of your hard work and sharing!

1 Like

So maybe passing on the time share a few weeks ago turned out to be a good idea. A lot has happened since I originally started the thread, and I almost got admitted for my bipolar nature on this topic by my partners.

We were moments from purchasing the Abbot IDnow COVID test and getting 2 machines and signing up to purchase 1800 test. That was a serious high pressure sales move on Abbots part knowing they were coming out with a cheaper simpler test in 2wks.

We are fortunate with our local Cincinnati Childrenā€™s Hospital having the capacity to get our patients tested within 24hrs of placing order and results within 24hrs of test being performed. If ordered in AM, often test and results back same day. Other urgent care in our area are having 3-6 day delay in getting results if the correct PCR test is being done.
I love the idea of a 15minute point of care test and result. Unfortunately we have entire families, schools and employers depending on reliability of the test result to determine quarantine status that potentially has a 10-24 day impact on those around them, let alone false negatives and the health risk to their exposures.
Currently in our area Cincinnati Childrenā€™s has the highest sensitivity and specificity PCR test and our patients have ready access to it.
It does require an order from a medical provider, so we are able to set up telehealth visits to determine need/desire or depending on symptoms/severity see them in the office first. Truly is a 15-20 minute conversation discussing what the results do and do not mean and what the rest of the family should do while waiting on test and results.
Our childrenā€™s hospital will have ability to do COVID/Flu and strep test at the same time with an order from a provider.

Of course the downside to this model is lost revenue from testing which is not insignificant. We make about $5k per provider on strep and flu test. Key of course will be to ensure they are still coming to us for the telehealth or in person visit prior to test being ordered.

From a convenience standpoint for our families, would love to have 15 minute accurate COVID testing in office. New test are coming out left and right and I am optimistic a better in office solution will come that gets reimbursed to at least cover cost of test/PPE/staff time.

The rate of false positives and false negatives is just so key for our families right now that they are willing to drive to another location for the test to be run, but I know they would prefer to have it done in our office.

Again reserve the right to change my mind in 2hrs, and tell you guys we bought a new time share. New things are fun.

Thanks for all of the above information. We have been trying to decide if we wanted to get covid testing kits for the office. We are doing like Bill is doing and sending our kids (after a telehealth or in office visit) for a covid pcr test at our local childrenā€™s hospital, that gets results to our patients, that are accurate in 24 hours. From what I see from the comments above, doing testing in the office may be a risky financial venture at this point in time. Too bad we canā€™t get the 15 min point of care tests for the office, because they would be helpful. I heard they are readily available all over Europe, but not in our country.