Ready for this year’s flu vaccine season?

For the third quarter (July through September), the Pediatric Success Series is going to focus on supplying you resources to help your practice prepare for flu vaccine season - in times of social distancing.

To ensure we are giving you the guidance you need, we want to hear directly from you!

Fill out this 3 question survey to get the content you actually want and we’ll take the questions/topics submitted to our pediatric industry experts, and deliver the answers to you via webinars, podcasts, and blog articles.

2 Likes

@kbabula Thank you for starting this thread. I was just starting to think about what changes we will need to make to our usual format for vaccine clinics which is not “social distancing” friendly. Add to that I am sure demand will be higher than ever this fall.

1 Like

I’d love to hear from practices that have done drive through vaccine visits how you logistically make that work. Do you have patients in a tent? Do they sit on a parent’s lap in the car? I don’t see how you could safely do this while they are strapped into car seats. I appreciate any insight as this will be a first for our offices.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Last chance to register! Live webinar with Sue Kressly, MD, FAAP, and Alisa Vaughn, CMPE to learn how to prepare your pediatric practice for the upcoming flu season while supporting social distancing. Thursday, July 16 at 12 PM Eastern time.

Attendees of the live webinar will receive 1 continuing education unit (CEU) from the AAPC.

P.S. If you can’t make the live webinar, register anyway. That way, we can send you the recording and presentation afterward.

Register now!

I signed up an hour late! Can I still get the recording, please??

Hi

Any risk of aerosolization and covid for giving flumist?
Do you need to screen for covid if drive thru flu clinic? If staff gowned and ppe, and patients in cars, already covered?
If coming in office for flu shot , screen of course.

Per the CDC, administering Flumist is not an aerosolizing procedure. I would also recommend still screening as this same page recommends against giving the flu vaccine if the patient is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19. Here is the language for Flumist and link to the full page (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-flu-season-2020-2021.htm):

Consider these additional steps during vaccine administration:

• Intranasal or oral vaccines:
    • Healthcare providers should wear gloves when giving intranasal or oral vaccines because of the increased likelihood of coming into contact with a patient’s mucous membranes and body fluids. They should change their gloves and wash their hands between patients.
    • Giving these vaccines is not considered an aerosol-generating procedure and thus, the use of an N95 or higher-level respirator is not recommended.

Cathy

1 Like

Thanks for the reply

Kris, did you receive any feedback on you drive thru vaccine visits? We are planning on do that as well for the first time and would love to hear from others who have done it… what works, what doesn’t, etc.
Thanks!

No, not yet. I think we are leaning towards a walk up to a tent or two outside, but I’d still welcome some feedback from anyone with experience.

Great! I hope to hear from others, as well.