Mask requirements for patients/parents

What do practices do when a patient > 2 y/o and parent refuse to wear a mask? There is no disability or medical reason to exempt our mask requirement. We sent them away and refused to see them for a well check appointment. Now the parent is making lots of legal threats and won’t let it go. I see it as similar to a “no shoes, no shirt, no service” right that private businesses have.

1 Like

We had a 15-year-old patient refuse last week. In MA, masks are required in Medical and Dental offices regardless of vaccine status. I explained the rule, offered a mask and he still refused so we canceled his appointment. Neither the patient nor his mother was very pleased with me and definitely did some grumbling. Nothing official has come of it so far. If they are threatening legal action, you should contact risk management.

Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Life is too short. A family that threatens legal action over their wrong behavior is not a good fit for your practice.

joe malak md

9 Likes

I agree and also discharge any family that threatens legal action. It is my understanding that you can refuse to do the appointment but need to offer an alternative-Telehealth.

3 Likes

Don’t worry about it. You create your own culture. Just like choosing not to take anti-vax patients, you don’t have to take anti-mask patients/families. It is your business. Hopefully they will help advertise your practice to all of their anti-mask friends and you won’t have to deal with those patients as a result of you choosing to enforce the mask policy.

2 Likes

Agree with all of the above. PLUS - you can simply say that it is an OSHA requirement. End of story.

2 Likes

Ditto. I agree with the video visit option, if feasible. However with the threat of litigation, I offer the door. Final answer!

1 Like

If you have not heard there is a new OSHA rule for all medical practices.

But more importantly, your medical practice is not a public or government agency … You can refuse service to any patient/family for any reason.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Masks are required on medical offices in Oregon. if refused we would cancel appt and convert to telehealth.
if nasty to staff-discharge!

1 Like