Cpt g2023/g2024

Not sure if everyone is aware if this CPT code which was available since March 2020. Reads as follows:

Effective March 1, 2020:

G2023**:** Specimen collection for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) (Coronavirus disease [COVID-19]), any specimen source. Reimbursement rate $23.46.
G2024**:** Specimen collection for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) (Coronavirus disease [COVID-19]), from an individual in a skilled nursing facility or by a laboratory on behalf of a home health agency, any specimen source. These codes are billable by clinical diagnostic laboratories. Reimbursement rate $25.46.

This is a readout for Maryland Medicaid. Recently received payment from commercial payer. Did use modifier-59 on claim.

It appears to me that G2024 can only be billed by skilled nursing or home health agency. The guidelines I find for Alabama Blue Cross and Medicaid indicate that code G2023 applies to “independent labs”.
Physician offices can use 99211 for billing collection of COVID 19 test specimens if no other E/M code is used and a " credentialed network practitioner is on the premises at the time of collection". I can’t find any other codes that can be used by office practices

Delindadavis

any idea if we can bill the teletriage code g2012, and then the 99211, since the phone call doesn’t result in apt with provider, just testing with nurse? Thanks